The club encourages all members who wish to play competitively to participate in one or more of the club teams. We presently run 7 teams in the inter-club summer doubles tennis leagues and we are happy to operate as many teams as our members require. We are currently competing in the following leagues:
- Men’s 1st team competing in Birmingham Area league division 5 & Metropolitan Summer league division 1
- Men’s 2nd team competing in Birmingham Area league division 7 & Metropolitan Summer league division 4
- Men’s 3rd team competing in Birmingham Area league division 9 & Metropolitan Summer league division 4
- Ladies 1st team competing in Birmingham Area league division 4
- Ladies 2nd team competing in Birmingham Area league division 8
- Mixed 1st team competing in Metropolitan Summer league division 2
- Mixed 2nd team competing in Metropolitan Summer league division 5
Inter-club summer league matches run from around the beginning of April until the end of August and are usually played on week nights from around 6.30pm or on Sunday mornings from around 10am and consist of both home and away matches.
We also presently enter a team into the Spring league which allows established team players the opportunity to practice competitively prior to the summer season and also allows any members wishing to try their hand at competitive tennis the opportunity to do so prior to joining one of the main summer league teams. Spring league runs from the beginning of March to early May and is played on Sunday mornings from around 10am. Both men and women can play in Spring league in men’s, ladies or mixed pairs, although most opponents tend to be men’s pairs.
Team tennis is very different to social tennis and is a great way to both challenge yourself and improve your game. This year we have more opportunities than ever before for players of all standards to try their hand at competitive tennis; with the addition of another men’s third team and a mixed second team – so do please have a go!
If you’re interested in trying it for the first time or haven’t been available to play competitively for a while, talk to one of the Team Captains about how you can get involved:
Men’s first team Richard Stone – email@example.com
Ladies first team Katrina Armstrong – firstname.lastname@example.org
Men’s second team Andrew Carter – email@example.com
Ladies second team Julia Speakman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Men’s third team Cliff Allum – email@example.com
Mixed first team Jane Fry – firstname.lastname@example.org
Mixed second team Liz Greaves – email@example.com
The Fixtures for this summer can be found here.